18 October 2010

I think that I shall never see

A poem lovely as a tree.
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;
A tree that looks at God all day,
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
A tree that may in Summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;
Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.
Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

-- Joyce Kilmer
Sometimes we have to have trees taken down and it is usually no big deal. A couple of years ago we removed 52 old scraggly pine/fir trees and were glad to see the end of them.

But today we are going to have to remove our beloved maple tree that has stood in our yard for the 37 years we have lived here. My favourite tree. Beautiful in the spring, shady in the summer, gorgeous in the fall. Last Friday we had a bit of a wind storm. Not a hurricane or anything, just a big wind and boom, down came 1/3 of our maple tree. The trunk split in three pieces and one gave up the ghost, landing a few feet from our house.

   








Despite all my attempts to convince myself that this tree can be rescued, (you can see through the trunk where it split), I know that it has to go. Even today with a fairly stiff breeze, it is leaning precariously. No way will it survive the snow and freezing rain of the upcoming winter! :((



TreeDownDSC03389

I’m sure we will plant something lovely to fill that spot, but you just cannot replace a beautiful old tree! My lovely maple tree, you will be missed.

2 comments:

lexa said...

I know exactly how you feel! My neighbors had one of their trees taken down last week, but it was in the back at the edge of the brook. During Earl it lost a big branch, but it was way up high, I was suprised they had the whole thing taken down.

Landerson said...

Yikes, thank goodness it didn't hit the house! Sad to see it go....I feel the same way about the 2 chestnut trees- Shannon's and mine. That's how I always thought of them:)

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs