10 December 2009

Here Today, Gone Tomorrow

We had a major blizzard type snow storm yesterday with high winds and power outages. And then mid evening, the temperature rose and it started to rain pour buckets out and this morning, nada. Grass and pavement and soggy. But no snow, so that whole Christmas time of year spirit got washed away.

And speaking of washed away, the power went out in the middle of Criminal Minds, which I was watching and Glee, which I was DVRing. So when the power came back on 1/2 hour later, I promptly set my DVR to tape these shows at 1 a.m. on the west coast. Guess what, the power went out again and they didn’t tape. Now I have to watch Glee on the computer, as that was the season finale! But it is way better than missing it completely! I will confess, I love that show!!

Then there is the issue with my Ellington socks, which I still love, despite what I am about to say. This is a very intricate sock pattern with all the knit stitches knit through the back of the loop and lots of cables and a chart within a chart. If that sounds confusing, it is! Anyway, the smaller chart wanted rows 19 through 24 done 4 times and I did them 5 times. So when I reached the 76 row, where the smaller pattern should have been finished, it wasn’t. I had to frog it back 22 rows! 22 intricate patterned rows! So it took me all last evening to finally get back to the point that I was at before discovering my errror. Just irritates the heck out of me that I wasted all that time. Another example of Here Today, Gone Tomorrow if you will!

This is the view of the main chart:

ElegantMainChart

And this one shows the view of the smaller chart within the main chart and those little cabled loops in the middle is where I add the extra 6 rows :((

ElegantSmChartD

Now I have about 10 or 12 rows to reach the heel flap, at which point I will pick up my second sock and do the whole thing over again whilst it is still fresh in my mind. Once I get going, it really isn’t as hard as it looks, and it fairly intuitive. I do however keep my chart in front of me and watch it closely. And guaranteed I will not make the mistake of repeating those rows an extra time again!!

Christmas is getting closer by the day and I am slowly but surely getting things done. My brother is stopping here later today on his way to Ottawa and will be picking up gifts and stuff for our family up there! So all my Ottawa wrapping is done and I hope I have everything packed and ready to go. Our Christmas letter is done and the cards just need stuffing and labels printed and they are ready to go as well. Then all I have left to do is wrap the gifts for the Saint John family! We aren’t doing much decorating here this year as we will be in SJ for a few days over Christmas. ( And yes, my friend Debra will be staying here with the dogs whilst we are away! I don’t know what we would do without her! We are soooo lucky and we know it!)

Now I am off to do some errands and come home and watch curling. The Canadian Olympic curling trials are currently on and the 8 best men’s and 8 best women’s teams are competing to represent Canada at the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver! Lots of knitting gets done this week!

3 comments:

lexa said...

The socks are looking good! Love that color. Too bad you had to frog it back.

I like the fact that the snow didn't stay. Not a fan except for Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. Luckily we didn't lose power.

Alexa in Central Nova Scotia said...

Those socks are GORGEOUS! Must take a lot of patience and focusing :)

Frieda said...

Man , you're organized , I'm just starting with the christmas cards . The baking is coming along , but i still have a couple of gifts to buy .

The socks are stunning , beautiful colour and pattern !

As for the white stuff , I could send you some . We've had a bit over a foot since we got back . Tomorrow we're getting a taste of the deep freeze temps they've had out west lately . I'd rather have snow !

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs