24 June 2008

Happy Lupin Sock!

Late this afternoon I finished my first Lace Rib sock and I love it! The yarn is so happy in this pattern. Just look at it:





And you can appreciate why I call them my Lupine socks. Duh! Just look at this picture of the gorgeous lupines and you know. The colours are almost exact.



The spelling of lupine/ lupin has been driving me crazy. I have always spelled in without an e, and when I looked it up online, it had an e. Then I went to the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary and found this:

"lupine[1,noun]

Main Entry:
lu·pine
Variant(s):
also lu·pin
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Latin lupinus, lupinum, from lupinus, adjective
Date:
14th century

: any of a genus (Lupinus) of leguminous herbs including some poisonous forms and others cultivated for their long showy racemes of usually blue, purple, white, or yellow flowers or for green manure, fodder, or their edible seeds; also : an edible lupine seed"


So I guess I will go with whichever spelling I feel like at the moment.

Sometimes it seems that I have too much time on my hands. I could be knitting!

3 comments:

lexa said...

That sock is gorgeous! I so love the colors. I spell lupine with an e. Guess that's one of those words like grey and gray.

Marti said...

Beautiful! You're right, the yarn and the pattern match very well.

PS: Useless trivia; my word verification starts with SSK!

Frieda said...

Very aptly named , beautiful sock ! I love blue and green even though they should never be seen except in the washing machine (as the saying goes ) . Whoever came up with that must have been colour blind :-))

 

Blog Designed by: NW Designs